Saturday, March 18, 2006

Aaloo Parantha

"Do you know that they sell Aaloo Paranthas in one of the Indian stores here?" This statement of my friend suddenly excited me. "Aaloo Parantha... In Japan?... Seriously?" My friend made such an earnest face that there was no way I could resist the temptation of trying it. Suddenly, I remembered the Aaloo parantha I used to have at home. Hot Parantha with yellow butter (Amul wala) and thick curd. Nothing can beat that combination. Suddenly my taste buds could feel the same taste and I decided that I have to eat those paranthas but as the rule says, you need to work hard to get something good in life

The Indian store is approx. 1 hour journey by train and nobody seemed to be interested in joining me for that. Everybody had work. Busy guys. I thought, " No Problemo!!!, I will go alone", and suddenly everyone asked me to get "few" packets for them also. By the time I left the hotel, I had an order of 20 packets(each packet has 5 paranthas in it). I know that sounds ridiculous but me poor me accepted. (I am such a nice guy you see or may be an Ass).

Some how managed to reached the Indian shop. But shopkeeper (an Indian dude) said that paranthas were out of stock. "Sab nikal gaye sir jaise Mandir main Prasad bat rha ho".

"WHAT ???? I traveled 1 hour to hear that there are no paranthas. You are kidding right?" But there was no smile on his face (So no kidding.. shidding). But on my request and an extensive search in his freezer, he was able to find two packets of paranthas. I must be really lucky. "WOW!!! Something is better than nothing".(I know I know I was supposed to take paranthas for others but he was out of stock remember... *Devil Grin*). I asked him how much did that cost. He said,"400 yen each". "400 yen??? But my friend took it for 300 yen. Kya bhaiya theek theek lagao. See, I came here for TWENTY PACKETS (with a huge stress on 20). I will come here again when you will have the stock". After 10 minutes of bargaining, he agreed. ;)

After coming out of the store, I just couldn't stop laughing. I had never done bargaining in Japan before this but this was heights. "Bhaiya theek theek lagao". I mean what was I thinking. It just reminded me of bargaining in India and I realized that some things can never change :D. I mean when I was talking to him, I kept thinking, "What the hell am I saying?", but at the same time I was having fun and I didn't want to spoil it.

Started my journey back. All planned out. Butter is there at room, will buy curd on way. So, dinner tonight is going to be aaloo parantha just the way I like it. By the time I reached home, I was starving as if been fasting for ages (I totally forgot the Big Mac burger that I had from Mc Donald's on my way to the store). Kept the parantha for heating.. All set.. Fried it properly...Butter also ready and here comes the parantha.

"HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "Where the HELL is AALOO in it and why does it taste WEIRD???"

I don't remember when was the last time I uttered that much amount of profanity.

Life sucks. *sigh*

6 comments:

Casablanca said...

Oh oh... if you ever drop by in HK, you can sure pick up a lot of Aaloo paranthas here. And they arent like the homemade ones, but they are quite good actually :)

La Louve said...

hahhaahahah.. am sorry for laughing at your plight! But this post was funny! :)))

ROTFL @jaise Mandir main Prasad bat rha ho

what a prasad it turned out to be :)

Apy said...

@Casa
No more Aaloo Parantha buying for me.. i guess i have learnt my lesson... :P... I have decided that from now on .. i ll cook n eat or eat when i am home... dont wanna start hating this stuff.......but.... if u r insisting that much .. then may be i ll try (me greedy me.. jus cant leave paranthas alone :D)

@wbix
ya true.. but the whole experience with that guy was a lot of fun... so i guess I am ok with that... n guess what... yesterday my friend asked me.."When are u going to that Indian shop again?... please get some paranthas for me when u buy for urself"... Do i need to tell u about my face expression after that?...

educatedunemployed said...

Where is my comment on your aloo parathas?????

Apy said...

@EU
Good ques... That's what even I am wondering.

Anonymous said...

hehe.. funny one. Seems that ur badly mising Parantha over there