Monday, July 10, 2006

Meri Bhains Ko Danda kyon Maara

I have been thinking about this post for quite a while but every time I sat down to write it, something or the other came up and I had to drop it. But today, in spite it of being Monday, I started it and I hope I will finish it.

I read a post some time back written by a blogger, whose name, I don’t think I will mention. But, I seriously did not find it funny. Not that it was supposed to be funny but the content outraged me.

This guy happens to be in US and some time back he saw an Indian guy make out with a girl in a train. This guy took it as a personal responsibility to make sure, that, that couple should feel uncomfortable and the means adopted were cheap staring. I am surprised that he had the balls to write a post about it and take pride in it. He also wanted to give this Indian guy a lecture on morality. My response to guys like these would be, “FK OFF!!!”

The guy totally forgot that he was not standing in some remote village. The people around him did not have any problems with it but this guy is “THE MAN”. They term this cheap mentality as Indian mentality forgetting that it’s the cheapness within that made him stare at that couple.
It isn’t just this one guy though. I was with a friend some time back and we were walking on the street. She was holding a bottle of beer in her hand. Some of the Indians who saw her gave her a look as if she had just killed someone. Why can’t people just mind their own business and leave others alone?

A few months back, a guy shuddered when he heard a friend of mine saying, “FK OFF” and, yes, he was a Desi. He looked as if some had slapped him hard on his face. I don’t understand why people who claim to be modern still carry on thinking like that. I mean, okay, if a person of a different generation reacts or behaves like that, I can still understand that but if some one in his twenties or early thirties does that, please tell me how I am supposed to react to that. Its not the general outlook of our country but since a majority behaves like that, it has started to become one.

I was planning to end this post, but then I remembered this incidence that happened some time back in India in Meerut. Police called it Operation ‘Romeo’ where couples were slapped by women constables. The worst part was that they slapped the girls too. The reason behind it was that they were holding hands and walking in a park. Incidents like these make me rethink if we are who we claim to be or may be we say we are open minded just for the heck of it.
There are a lot of guys who make sure that if a couple is having a good time together, they will spoil it. The means adopted are usually passing cheap comments or staring until the couple gets uncomfortable enough to walk out of that place. The question is why? Why can’t they let them be happy? Just because they don’t have someone to be with, do they have to act like this and play with someone else’s happiness? I still don’t know the reason. You can’t say that may be they are illiterate. GOD DAMN IT! The cases I am talking about occurred in US and Japan. They are not just educated; they are highly educated and may be working too. So, what next? Can we do anything about the mentality that these people are carrying? How can we make a difference? Do we do anything to make a difference? Or may be the question should be, do we wish to do anything about it?

I think it all happens as we grow up. It’s the way we evolve. May be I can’t do much to change anyone in the society but I will make sure that at least my kids know it right. The kids who are associated to me should know it right. That’s the least I expect myself to do.
I don’t and I repeat I DON’T say that those who don’t do it (public display of affection) are out dated or something like that. I just request to Please Mind Your OWN Business.

19 comments:

bilbo said...

ya know, your title reminds me of the song first of all and then that guy from the movie mr India going, " lo, gayi bhains pani mein. cracked me up.
Jokes aside, you've picked up on a very complex problem, with no easy solution. All though, if all of us just learnt to respect the other person's right to live his life his own way without exercising our right to judge him ( not really a right, though, a lot of us do exercise it) , things might be a lot more easier.
A lot of it stems from lack of respect.
And yep, teaching kids around you and maybe your friends too is the max u really can do. Each one teach one does work

Mr. J said...

Woooo... some pretty strong words here. Pity, some behave that way and as you said there ain't much that can be done.

Morons will be morons. The best thing to do is to just tell them to FK Off.

Kathy said...

Whoa...seems u spent hours of ur precious time writing this huh?

...well, sometimes those who are highly educated people or those appealing over-smart are the ones who are DAMN STUPID!! hah!

...who cares if someone is doing public display of affection? let them be...let them be happy in their own way.

... Yeah, F**K OFF!! You lonely poor creature!! try to be smart more dealing with people...

...phew!! it's like the scene i've watched this morning when Zidane banged his head to one Italy player hehe...^_^ lol!

...hey dun do it, relax sweetie :P


cheers,
-kathy-

educatedunemployed said...

I understand what you are saying.A part of me agrees with you too.However I do think we need to understand what is considered outrageous in one culture is actually culture in others and educated experienced people like yourself, need to realise that not everyone has had the same exposure.People learn with time, or so I hope.Cheers.

Ekta said...

Gosh!
Thats disgusting!!
I mean who is he to play the role of morale police!!!???

Keshi said...

**This guy took it as a personal responsibility to make sure, that, that couple should feel uncomfortable and the means adopted were cheap staring.

He seems like a loser who can never get over his false sense of pride and someone who doesnt respect another's freedom. Either he's not getting enough attention or he's just a dumbo who cant accept realities of life.

Keshi.

Kathy said...

..lol! at the new music background here ^_^ u reminds me of my dearest friends in Phils...we used to sing this song while one of my friend do the guitar and we're all tipsy haha...damnnn ! i missed them so much hmmm!!

..thanx for reminding anyway ;)

cheers,
-kathy-

bilbo said...

well hope aoy does not mind my replying to a comment, @ EU, while I agree that people learn with time, Ppl from apy's post, specifically ppl who take it upon themselves to morally police the rest of the junta, don't learn . In their minds they are right and don't need the lesson.
Also this moral policing mainly extends to ppl within the culture. I haven't as yet seen desi's bad mouthing non desi's for PDA. So your point about cultural difference needs further definition.

alice said...

i hate ppl who do that....i've got a friend here with me who came with me to UK who is constantly staring at ppl making out or kissing....and i tell her mind ur own business ....it's their life..if they wana walk around naked let them....it's actually better this western culture...as she calls it..atleast they dont wait till they get back home...if they feel like kissing each other....then the moment is lost ..u know....

it's so weird if u feel like kissing ur Man/Woman u wait till u r some place private or u dont do it at all....how stupid...

and abe Apy...camera acha hai..main nahin...teri to... :D

~ Deeps ~ said...

well a lot has said by everyone on this.....i m lil late in replying :(
just wanna say its not abt education, it all abt the way people are brought up.....the cognitive learning....unless that thing changes.....people r gonna think in same way.......

Apy said...

@Bilbs
lol@ song
jus some bitter experieces .. so when i read this guys post... was forced to write...

@Me
There are plenty of them .. how many times shud i say that.. but i like the phrase.. so i think i ll keep using .lol...

@Kathy
naah .. just an hour...n i m relaxed... it s jus that its been there in my mind fr quite a while now.. so had to put it here...

@EU
I realise that not everyone has had the same exposure but then again what gives them these rights. As I said previously, these are the cases in US and Japan and not India. If they behave like this out here, I wonder how they ll behave back home. Who will remind them that they are not at home any more.. i kno.. not me .. :) but jus a thought...

@Ekta
Exactly!

@keshi
I prefer the first option but on second thought second aint bad either... :)

@Alice
As i said, they are evwhere....

n sach kadwa hota hai kido.. i think u got a good deal wen u got that camera.. it can make u look good..lol...

Apy said...

@Deeps
Agree with ya man... n no u r not too late at all....

Apy said...

@Alice
One more thing dear.. its not the staring I am talking about. Its the staring with an intention to make the other person uncomfortable. There s a big difference. A lot of people stare out of curiousity (bad manners i kno..hehe)but there are some as I mentioned who act as morale police..

Anand said...

Well for such people...the more they stare the more u should psyche them!
I would have made out even more to make sure hes stops staring eventually with embarassment!

Keshi said...

:) Apy.

I hope none of of ur friends/family were affected by the bombs in Mumbai.

Keshi.

Apy said...

@Anand
That sounds like a pretty good idea...lol...

@Keshi
Evone s fine.. Thanks a Tonne for the concern.....

Keshi said...

Thats brilliant HUGGGGGGGGZ!

Keshi.

Apy said...

@Keshi
:) Apy HUGZZZ u Backkk

P said...

When will the moral monitoring and goody pretentiousness stop?
The post was funny!