Thursday, July 13, 2006

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

“Excuse Me!”

I was as usual busy reading my novel on another 2 hour long office journey of mine and was startled when I heard this. I turned around to see who had addressed me so and saw a man staring back. He was tall, fair, square faced, blonde and definitely non Japanese. He was traveling with his wife and son.

“Could you tell me if this train will stop at Kanazawa Hakkei?” He asked.

I had no clue and I told him so. The station we were approaching was Kanazawa Bunko and the station where he wanted to get off at was the one next to it. Since it was a Limited Express train, he was not sure if it will stop at that station and since I was the only ‘non-Japanese’ around, he had asked me. I looked at the chart which had some details mentioned about the stops of the train but it was a generalized chart and it did not give details or may be I should say, I could not understand the chart and I could not tell whether this train will stop there or not.

So, as we reached Kanazawa Bunko, I saw a Local train standing on the other side of platform destined for Shinzushi. I told him that since that train was a local, I am pretty sure it would stop at the next station. So, they could take that train.

He thanked me and got out of the train with his family.

Suddenly, I noticed on the chart that, that train will take another track to go to Shinzushi. My stomach flipped and I shouted, “EXCUSE ME!!!” He did not hear me. I shouted again. By then every one had started staring at me. For once, I thought I should get off the train but my bag was on a shelf, out of my reach. The doors of the train had closed by then . He had already boarded that train.

I kept banging on the door out of regret. I think guilt would be more appropriate. But he did not even look in my direction. If he could just look once, I could ask him to get off that train and take some other train. Now the guilt had started to kill me. The train left the platform and I started moving randomly in that empty space, cursing myself, wondering where I had sent that family. The man had just asked me a simple question and I had no clue what I could do then. Poor man just wanted a simple help and I gave him nothing but trouble. “Damn you Apy!” As if this was not enough, the train stopped at Kanzawa Hakkei.

“FK! FK! FK!”

I tried to relax. People were still trying not to stare but could not help. I didn’t bother. I had just made the biggest Fk up of the day. I tried to call a friend but the train entered the subway and I entered a weird state of mind.

Damn!”

What else could I do? I was just trying to help.
Oh yeah! You were a great help. In future, you better not help. Where ever he was trying to reach, I don’t think he will make it on time. All thanks to you.
But...
Shut up...

I got up and went to see that chart again. To analyze how bad the damage was.

Wait a minute! The train changed track from Kanazawa Hakkei. That means it will go to Kanazawa Hakkei and then it will go in a different direction, that means I did not put him on the wrong train, that means, well!! That means he won’t be abusing me at this moment.

I rejoiced, relaxed, sat down and smiled to myself.

Phew! What a start to the day!

19 comments:

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I usually listen to iPOD while travelling...and if Im sitting at the window seat...people still come and ask whther this bus/train will go to this stationg or not....I simply say no, as Im able to hear wht they actually asked for ....
No guilt :)

Preet said...

hahaha...nice post !! u weren't guilty, at last !!!

educatedunemployed said...

That was some panic attack there.All is well that ends well.:)

Kathy said...

...was relieved on the last part, thank God.

...** You were a great help, do help always **

...good job Apy!


cheers,
-kathy-

Keshi said...

Apy ur too sweet to worry abt him so much! Im glad that the train eventually took him where he wanted to go to :)

I have f#cked up with directions b4...so chill hehehe.

Keshi.

Anand said...

hah!
Well its happened to me so many times..where I try and help and it actually backfires!
But thankfully urs had a good ending:-)

Ekta said...

Hey relax!
U dont need to feel bad at all!
Whats important is to look at what was the intent in this case..the intention was to help and thats what matters!:-)

uday said...

I m good with directions but there are times when I screwed up ppl so bad tht they actually called me back for their free lunch !

Its one thing to feel guilty about it and a whole other thing to hvta pay for it !

Cool tht u were not on tht track but good story,, nice narration! felt like a screen play of sorts :)

found u on technorati btw..rolling u up at WoW

uday said...

blog mates?

Apy said...

@Arz00n
Lol..... yeah.. surely a nice way to help and keep urself off guilt

@Preet
hehe..yeah.. i guess

@EU
Absolutely...

@Kathy
Thanks dear...will keep that in mind

@Keshi
hehe.... i chilled...

@Anand
Thankfully man.. thankfully

@Ekta
Well.. i relaxed .. af knowing that i din goof up..hehe

@Uday
Welcome to my place dude... hehe... Thanks
...Sure..

x said...

lol. this post was action-packed. hehe. suspense, suspense. anyway, 'was just looking around. found a link to here from lil' kath's. ^_^ feel free to visit mi bloggie, too. ^_^

Keshi said...

gooood :)

Keshi.

Apy said...

@Amarula
no idea.. i din do anything..hehe.. swear....

am reading 'Icarus' by Russell Andrews

@Acey
Welcome to my blog dear. thanks :)

@Keshi
:) Thanks

Mr. J said...

Fk Fk Fk.. Damn, i'd love to see you when you said that :D

Kathy said...

... Thank God it's friday.... i can see ur smile again lol!! :P

cheers,
-kathy-

P said...

wow...this post had me on the edge of my seat..well written..

When it comes to directions I just have to share this..many years ago we were driving to Taragarh Palace which is quite close to Dharamshala (Himachal P) and we stopped and asked this guy on the rd how far was the palace..he said about 3 kms..we drove on, no sign of the palace..asked at a chai stall..the guy said another 3 kms..went further on..when having found no sign..asked another guy, who said..wait for it wait for it...3 kms...am not kidding!! it was like we were stuck in mouth of madness or something..and this "3kms" yardstick was given to us by 6 diff ppl....

We reached the palace 3 hours and many kilometres late than we thought..exhausted but wiser..after all we learnt a new way of measuring the distance! :-)

alice said...

aage se na...dhyan se dekh kar help karna...ok..it'll save u all that guilt...
u r cute... x

Apy said...

@Me
hehehe.... yeah right...

@Kathy
O yeah.. all 32 out...

@perspective inc
:) Thanks..
lolz@ 3km story..well.. remmebr that new way ....

@Alice
Thanks for the advice kido.... will keep that in mind.....hehe

GuNs said...

Oh boy, oh boy !
Was that close or what !!
I've been asked for places so many times when I didnt know where I was myself. Its a lot more embarassing to be the answerer than the questioner in such a situation. To say "I'm sorry, I don't know" is so difficult especially when the other person is in a real hurry and you desperately want to help !

Keep dropping by my blog often, man.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs