Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lost in Translation

Apy is on a roll. Every other day I do something, which makes me feel guilty and not just normal guilt, but a guilt that could take one’s life away. Today was another similar day. Damn! The more I think about it the worse I feel.

I have been looking for an apartment and today the HR lady, who arranged an apartment for me, called and told me that I need to see a lady at the Metro station near my office and she will show me the apartment. After reaching there, I found that she could not speak English. Well! There was nothing new in this as every day I face the same awkward language issue but today I was just hoping that we wouldn’t have to communicate much.

We would to walk to the place, take a look and return. Perfect plan!

She showed us the apartment and I decided to take it. After that, when we started to return she tried to show us the way back to station and started walking along with us to the station and just out of courtesy, I asked her, if she had to go in some other direction, she should carry on and we would manage to get back on our own. I tried to tell her the same in English but she didn’t understand a word. So, my great friend who knows Japanese slightly better than me came to the rescue. He told her, “Betsu Betsu ni, Aru-ite, Daijobu desuka?” She seemed to be a little shocked (a little hurt too). She turned, started walking and never looked back.

When she walked away, I asked my friend what he’d said, and the actual translation was “Is it okay if we walk separately?” After knowing the meaning of the sentence, I can’t even begin to describe how I felt.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, FK!! FK!! FK!!

I have been feeling miserable since then. The only thing I can’t tolerate is being rude especially when I don’t intend to.
Am I being ultra sensitive? Can’t help, I just am like that.

19 comments:

Kathy said...

...umm yeah,the translation is probably not the right word dear..
..it turns out that u two don't want to walk with her, so definitely she's hurt by that coz she just want to help u both on ur way back to the station.
...yeah, its really tough when we dunno the language and the right way of saying it but maybe she can understand coz were gaijins na.
...and u will be meeting her from now on ur new place right? so u can say sorry anytime to her, relax!!
Its ok Apy ,don't curse urself by what happened, by this mistakes u learned something good!

Or if u want , if u know her no. i can call her to explain everything.
...too bad ur quite far from me na hehe...else i can come to u right away for the rescue ^_^ change ur place to Tokyo sweetie haha..lol! just want to make u smile :P

..goodluck Apy and dun be stranger , im just a dial away from u... ^_^ let me know what can i help ok?

cheers,
-kathy-

educatedunemployed said...

Well it is a misunderstanding no doubt.Irrespective of anything, there is no reason to be rude.Better still you didnt intend to.If it bothers you enough, do clear up the misunderstanding.It might make u feel better.Also I doubt she deserved to be spoken like that.It is ur calll dude.Do what you think is best.
Oh and learn the language.:)

Apy said...

@Amarula
You have no clue how serious I am these days about the same.

@kathy
Hmm... i m tryin to sort this out. Will let you know if i am successful...
n Thanks a tonne :D

@EU
Yeah .. i m tryin to clear it up... i have her number and i am plannin to ask someone (who knows japanese) to call her up and explain the situation to her. Lets see what happens...

P said...

Your (mis)communication escapades are hilarious..lol..
Good luck with learning the language...

Ekta said...

Awww...thts so sweet of u..ur are a sensitive person and thats a strength!....
But hey yet again it wasnt intentional and u didnt even know what it meant!
So well..dont worry abt it...take it easy its not ur fault!

Mr. J said...

Awww damn man. I know a way how to get out of this. Here's the take.

Just go meet her again and ask her out for lunch or dinner and make up for it. And make sure you get your Japanese right this time while talking to her.

Voila. Case closed ;) Next guilt post please :D

Apy said...

@Perspective Inc
Hehe.. yeah kinda.. Thanks...

@Ekta
Thats exactly what i ve been tryin to tell myself but meri to koi sunta hi nahi hai..hehe

@Me
Waaaoow.. U made it so simple but u easliy forgot the part that i still dunno Japanese... how will i talk to her.. okay .. i can mug up all the lines that I am supposed to say but wat if she asks something.. that wd be something "out of the syllabus"..hehe.. n i l b stuck again

In any case, i requested a Japanese colleague of mine to call her.. she din pick up so this lady left a voice mail describing the complete story.. as of now no response from her... but i guess message was delivered....

Pri said...

lol! can totally understand...but most of the times we tend to be the rudest whn we dont intend it...:)one of lifes greatest ironies ...so chill , everyone has tht feelin :)guess thts part of being human *smiles*

Twisted DNA said...

It feels so bad when we accidentally hurt someone but we can't take it back! Happens to the best of us.

Apy said...

@Pri
Welcome to my place dear.
Yeah I guess so.... :)

@Twisted dna
Welcome to my place dear
yep...happens... n there s no way to avoid it ... :(

Anand said...

hahah!
Hey chill apy...sorry but cldnt help laughing!
The poor women must be wondering why u guys are being so rude!!
Anywayz as long as u didnt intend it..its all forgiven!

~ Deeps ~ said...

lost in translation......indeed its tough ......and i know i too get this feel sometime when something like this happens.........not intended but somehow just happens :(

relax , it will just go away and incase u wanna feel lil better then find the address of the lady frm ur HR and send her a apology letter or some flowers......

Mr. J said...

Maaaaaaaaannn.. point is take her out for dinner.

Suji said...

Visiting your blog for the first time. Liked what I read....will be back. Hope the translation muddle is sorted out.

Bindu said...

"Am I being ultra sensitive?"
No you are being a rare breed of nice and sensitive people! I wish more people were like you!

Apy said...

@Anand
:) I guess so

@Deeps
Hmm... tried that..Din work..

@Me
@point noted but takin out for dinner aint simple... i need to find her frst.. makin her understnd this point is a task in itself n u r talkin dinner.. lol.. cant help but laugh..

@Suji
Welcome to my place dear... I quit workin on that.. may be i got over with the guilt... :)

@Bindu
Thanks :) ... Thats comforting...

Apy said...

@Bindu
n welcome to my place :)

Sirius Black said...

LAnguage barriers can create problems sometimes :(
but you cant help it also at times , as long as its accidental there nothin you can do about it...

Apy said...

@Sirius
yeah.. i guess...