Monday, August 07, 2006

Japan (mis)adventure series: Dude! Where's my Key?

#5449
Error


It was the fifth time it gave me an error when I tried to enter the code that I have been using to enter the main entrance of my apartment building.

They changed the code! But how could they change the code just like that?

I could not figure out what to do. It was 8 PM on a Friday evening. I browsed through my address book to find the number that was given to me to be used in case of emergency.

Well! This was an emergency. Wasn’t it?

The only thing that I had to do was, call a colleague who could speak Japanese, give him the number and request him to talk to this person and ask for the new code.

After 5 minutes, my colleague called back to give me the bad news. It seemed the number was the office number of the agency and they closed at 7PM

“So, what are you going to do?” he asked.

I didn’t know what to do. I told him that I will wait for someone to come out or go inside and enter when the door opens. But after waiting for 45 minutes, It seemed either everyone was already in or they were not planning to go out and since it was a Friday night, chances of anyone going in at then were thin.

I looked around and found the 24 hr emergency number of the agency. I thought for a second to give this number to my colleague again but something inside me resisted and next I found myself talking to a lady on the other end.

After explaining the situation 5 times, she understood what I was trying to say. Lucky me! She knew a little English and I was able to convey my situation. It was hot and I had just bought a huge pack of Ice cream.(To be frank that, was one of my major concerns.)

She promised to call back in 5 minutes and I agreed to wait (as if I had a choice).
Ten minutes later, I was beginning to get impatient. I thought of jumping over the grill surrounding the mansion, and getting inside but there was a lot of risk involved in that.

What if someone called the cops?
Explaining the complete situation to them in Japanese will again be a huge task.


15 minutes later, I was on the grill. Just as I had imagined, half way up, my phone rang. She was late but she had kept her promise. (Have you ever taken a call hanging on a grill? Trust me, it’s not funny.)

“So your company has not given you the apartment key?” She asked.

This time I lost it but still trying really hard to sound polite and patient, I replied, “No! YOUR COMPANY has not provided the key to the main entrance. I have my apartment key but this key does not fit in the keyholes on the door of the main entrance (there are 2 keyholes on that door) and I have been using a 4 digit code to open the door which was changed today.

But your room key should be able to open the main entrance door.

I was really worried that I might blast her any moment now. Still I was going to keep my cool for as long as I could.

“No, I have tried that and it does NOT work”. Saying this, I went back to the door again trying to insert the key in the keyholes on the main entrance door. But the key did not go in.

At last, I gave up. Without saying anything I hung up and turned around to go out and climb over the grill. As I moved, I saw a keyhole under the keypad where I used to use the code. I inserted the key, knowing that it is not going to happen, and, suddenly, I heard a click.

Fk me!


The door opened.

15 comments:

Kathy said...

... and that time when ur just openin' ur door after one hour of whisperin' FK! FK! FK! outside **in ur most silent way so no one can hear u** ^_^ timely i called u na( maybe there's a telepathy thing that lettin' me know that something is happenin' to my dear friend) :P and after knowing of what happened we laughed to death right? :P lol! u have many crazy adventures in Japan..

... so what happened to melted ice cream? :P did fridge saved it for ur after dinner smiles? :P

... thanx for the crazy laughs ^_^

... take care kiddo muaahh!

cheers,
-kathy-

Ekta said...

oops!!!
heheh..looks like ur a master at blunders..heheh!

Apy said...

@Kathy
haha.. yeah ice cream was saved.. thankfully nothin happened to it..

n wait a sec.. who are u calling a kido... considering your mental level.. even rina might beat you...hehe.. n u r callin ME a kiddo... :P

@Ekta
I guess so.. atleast I m master of something... hehe...(Thats called height of optimism...)

educatedunemployed said...

HAHAHAHHA....
A little peace and quiet you need.The Sake is getting to you methinks. :P

Mr. J said...

Hahahaha.... hope you were able to have the icecream after all that?? Lol.

Kathy said...

... grrrr!! kiddo mental level?? lol! expect that being w/ rina 24/7 ^_^ ... try to spend one day w/ her, for sure u'll have the same result hmm... but yeah, she can beat me in writing kanji's hehe... i admit that ;( damn!!

... oyasuminasai!!

Anand said...

Oops
I did it again!

Keshi said...

Apy just relax whenever something like that happens...cos Im like u too, get panicky, agitated and rush etc...I might even kick the damn door lol! But I have realised that when I calm down the most unexpected and good things happen :)

Keshi.

P said...

Hhahahaha
I love your escapades!
LOL!

Apy said...

@EU
Sake??? nah.. Apy not much of a Sake person... i love my Walker buddy

@Me
Yeah.. it was saved... :)

@Kathy
Tolya :P

@anand
Yep.. i guess once again....

@Keshi
Oh I tried to relax dear.. but my ice cream was melting...hehehe... so cdnt... n i was in no mood to jump over the grill..

@Perspective
hehe..Thanks... hoping and taking it as a compliment.. hehe...

GuNs said...

Aaah...beautiful. Another misadventure of the subsonscious mind. Whatever that means !! Boy...you can take one positive out of this !! When someone asks you for your "most embarassing moment", you wont have to think and fumble to remember one !! LOL, then again...if you follow your protocol, you'll create yet another embarassing situation here !!

Super write up. Kept me in the splits throughout and yeah...I wouldnt want to answer a call hanging from a grill. Thats worse than answering a call while driving [:-P] !! In the latter, atleast you can go to St. Peter and blame the OTHER guy for the your demise.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

starbender said...

OMG~~~
I go thru this
kinda thing--
ALL THE TIME!
:o

starbender said...

*waves*
Hi Keshi!
:)

Keshi said...

** i was in no mood to jump over the grill..

hehe thats really not relaxing lol!

Keshi.

Apy said...

@Guns
lol.. i guess u r right.. but then again i ll have to choose the best from my list of embarrasing moments..lol...

@starbender
:).. welcome to my place....

@keshi
hehe... i know but i din really have a choice.. did i ?