Monday, May 01, 2006

So Far So Good

It all started 3 months back when I felt pain in the lower abdomen. I thought, it might be due to some eating disorder and I ignored it. But the pain persisted and I was left with no other option but to see a doctor. Gosh! I just hate to go to hospitals and see doctors (no offence meant to doctor friends of mine). They give me the creeps and scare the hell out of me. Meeting a doctor in Japan involved other apprehensions also like whether he will understand the problem that I am facing and will he be able to solve it? (Please do not forget the language issue with me)

Anyways, went to the hospital and what happened after that is history.

Visit1: My first meeting with the doctor. Luckily, he was able to speak English though I took a friend along with me who could speak good Japanese. He told me that I had an infection and gave me antibiotics accordingly.

I was happy to hear that nothing major was wrong and took that antibiotic course for 5 days. After 5 days, pain was still there and I was still sad. Nevertheless, I still went to see the doctor again.

Visit2: This time it was a different doctor and he said I had a stone. I was a little worried on hearing this but he assured me that it’s no big deal and we will dissolve the stone with medicines and remove it. In any case he asked me to get the basic tests done including sonography.

I obeyed like a good boy. Got all tests done and went to see doctor again

Visit3: A different doctor. “I don’t think you have stone, I think you have appendicitis.” My plain and simple reaction was “WHAT THE FUCK!!! Every time I come here, you scare me more and more. Why don’t you make up your mind first and then tell me what’s the matter with me”. Anyways, I didn’t say any of it to him coz he seemed to be trying to help me. He gave me some medicines and asked me to visit after 2 weeks.

I met him again after 2 weeks. He was not very sure about appendicitis and asked me to wait for some more time. He said, “I think it’s because of some eating disorder.” (Don’t even ask what my reaction was.)

2.5 months passed, spent around 500 USD but the pain was still hanging in there (Made for each other types) and my worries were at their best. At last, I begged my manager to let me go to India a week early than my scheduled trip so that I can see doc as soon as possible. The story with him is a different story altogether and I don’t even want to start with it, for now.

Reached India (Apy very Happy), and went to see the doctor (a General surgeon). I was again asked to go through all the same tests. I obeyed. I was happy to be back in the hands of good old Indian doc. My reports came out to be all normal. He ‘felt’ that I had appendicitis. He asked me if I had insurance, I affirmed. I was asked to get admitted and get a CT scan done. I obeyed. CT scan was also normal but he said he still had a ‘feeling’ that it was appendicitis. He said, “We could do a diagnostic laparoscopy (for those who don’t know, it is drilling a hole in your abdomen, sticking up a telescope in it and finding out what is wrong). In any case we will take out appendix.” I was not very sure about this. My dad was not at all in favor of cutting into, just for diagnosis. So, called another doctor (my friend’s uncle) for second opinion, told him the complete story and he too was not in favor of this diagnosis.

I was still admitted to hospital and nurse had put I.V. in. My parents were with me all the time and all of us were scared like hell. I got a little rude at times to them for which I feel sorry. “Sorry Mom! Sorry Dad!” I didn’t mean to hurt you, was just as scared as you and didn’t know how to react at times.

Even though I had come to hospital on my own, spending a night in that room made me say to myself, “Thakur to giyo!!"
Ah! I totally forgot to mention about the antibiotics that doctor had asked me to take when I met him the first time. The pain seemed to be subsiding.

It was D-day and doctor arrived. I made him talk to my doctor and he explained the complete story to him. After that, decision was left to me. I decided to not go for it. The pain subsided completely in the next few days and for a change I felt good.

I still don’t know whether I took the right decision or not but as per my belief, “Whatever happens, happens for good”; I have left it to God.

9 comments:

bilbo said...

Me firstttt
I am making a habit of this
No offence to the medical fraternity here, but they do their diagnosis really slow. You atleast got medication.
Mom had a pain in her shoulder and could not move one arm of hers. And the docs gave her no meds, even for pain relief . They took their own sweet time to come to a conclusion about what was causing it all. She is thankfully doing all right now.

Keshi said...

Apy WB! Wow so ur back from India?

What a alto of visits to the docs ha! Sure is frustrating when they cant find out whats wrong with ya. But Im glad ur well now...even w.o. any seriou surgeries...Thank God!

Yes leave it all upto Him...

Keshi.

Kathy said...

..hope for ur continue recovery apy ^_^
... do take care!
Godbless.

-kathy

Apy said...

@Bilbo
yes u r making a habit..lol..i like this habit of urs ...

hmmm... I cant talk bout al the docs as i have seen some working their ass off to make sure the patient is alright but otherwise had similar experiences before...

@Keshi
Thanks sweety
Left ... :-)

@Kathy
Thank you so much for all ur wishes... God bless u too

educatedunemployed said...

I seriously don't think you needed that CT scan and laproscopy.An Ultrasound abdomen should have been more appropriate.At least then one would know whether it was a stone or really nothing and just one of those horrid tummy not agreeing with you pains.I shuouldn't be saying this but all those docs sound like twits..Sorry you had to go through it.Hope you are feeling better.

Apy said...

EUUUUUUUUUUU
So good to see uuuuuuu (hey that rhymes...shut up Apy)

you know wat.. i was expecting a comment from u on this... my dear doc...and ur comment was a huge relief....
Thanks a lot...

parikrama said...

LOL @ Thakur Toh Giyo.. (which movie is that quip from ?? I forgot the name, Andaaz Apnaa Apnaa ?? )

This is the usual story that one gets to hear.Expat Indian (EI) getting some mysterious ailement in foreign land. Alien Foreign Doctor (AFD) not able to diagonize the case properly. EI flying back to motherland. Local Indian Doctor (LID) comes to rescue with his vast experience (thanx to the billion++ population).

Those Bollywood people have been grossly un-fair towards Indian medcial fraternity. An average Hindi Fillum hero has to take his Maa/Behen/Beti to foren for costly operation, come what may !! Hope somebody drills the senses back in Bollywood scripts & tell them that in reality people do come from Foren to India to seek reliable medical care !!

Anyhoww.. good to see that U were spared the agony of operation & other headaches.Cheers to your good health.

Now for the all important health tip : Plz pretty plz stay away from the Alu Paranthaa's & other such dishes that Ur good friend Bilbo cooks. I strongly suspect that Ur condition was triggered by the food that you ate at Billy's place!! Don't tell me i didn't warn yu, varnaaa "Thakur toh indeed Giyo.." !!

Apy said...

@Parikrama
ROTFL
I think the movie was 'Karan Arjun'.. i m not really sure about that..

N i guess you are right about the Bollywood thing.. but then .. if they started making sense... half of Indian Janta will stop watching movies....and there will be loads of flops..so lets not interfere with their business...

n thanks a lot for the tip... may be tht was the case.... n thanks for reminding me on time.. i m supposed to go to Billy's place for lunch on coming Saturday. Earlier she was bent upon that I should cook and she should just eat and I was bent upon the vice versa...and now I am bent upon that I should cook and she should just eat and she s totally confused with this change... :P

n ya ... one more thing... u r so gonna get it from her for this... i jus showed ur comment to her and she didnt quite seemed to be pleased with it.. so good luck to u buddy.. n Enjoy ..

Thought for the day: There s a reason (read blessing) that you are not in Japan....

alice said...

i m glad u r back and u r fine...