Saturday, May 27, 2006

An evening with Da Vinci

Or you can also say, my first movie in a theatre in Japan. It’s been 8 months since I got here and till date I have not been to a theatre to see a movie. Its not that I don’t like to watch movies but it’s just that I haven’t so far got company (or opportunity), good enough to watch a movie. So, when P told me that she was planning to see “The Da Vinci Code”, I couldn’t stop myself from asking her if she would like to go along with me. But, there was a bigger problem at hand. I had not yet finished reading the novel, which I had started a long time ago.

So, I asked her if she could give me some time to finish that novel. Else, I know myself. I would have never completed that novel if I had seen that movie first. As asked, I was granted some time to finish it up. I hurried through it and within 2 days I was done and ready to go for movie on Saturday (which happened to be yesterday).

The day was fun as it started with a call at 8 am in the morning from P. Once, I had told her that I am crazy about cars. So, when she saw some awesome looking cars on a ‘Saturday morning’ in her neighborhood, being a nice friend as she always has been, she called me immediately to tell me about it and then realized that it was a ‘Saturday morning’. I have no clue what I told her when she told me all this.

So, after 2 hours when I woke up, I was not sure about what conversation we had had and tried calling her up to check. She was busy in her lab so she didn’t answer the phone. I think I m suffering from short term memory loss, because when in the evening, she called me up after looking at the missed call, I had simply forgotten about the call and told her I hadn’t called. May be it’s the old age I am getting into.

So, we plan to meet at Shibuya but as soon as I step out, I realize it’s raining. I reach Shibuya and I see P already holding a coffee outside Starbucks. Well, it was raining so how could I not get one. I am not much of a tea or a coffee person but whenever I have it I like it sweet. I just added a tinge of sugar and P was after my life telling me I m nuts and all. Well, what’s the fun in having a sugarless Mocha at Starbucks? I don’t say that it’s not sweet. I just say it’s not sweet enough.

We start hunting for the theatre in rain. It was not easy at a place like Shibuya but we managed. We had one hour before the movie began so we thought of killing the time by trying to kill each other with our poor jokes (read Apy tried with his poor jokes). They gave us some brochures but since it was raining, we thought of making boats out of them. Apy started first but after a while realized that instead of making a boat I made an airplane :P. So, gave it another try and this time made something else. P got inspiration from me. After all, I give ideas for life. So after trying again and again and after a lot of (de) motivation, she was able to make one.

After one hour of blabbering, we entered the theatre only to come to know that the seats were taken on a first come first serve basis. ‘Holy crap’ was the only thing that came to our mind as the only seats available were in first 3 rows. If we had the slightest idea about this situation we would have gotten the best seats.

Anyways, the movie was okay. I won’t call it that bad but had a major deviation from the novel. I know a movie cannot possibly cover the contents of a novel well but still I had some high hopes from this.

By the time we came out, we were starving. So for a change, instead of looking for a restaurant we bought a doner kebab from a food cart and started looking for a place to eat. Found a desi place to sit, “The Stairs”. So we munched on those kebabs sitting there while people walked past us staring at us. By the time we finished we had got used to those stares and were busy yapping amongst ourselves. After this again a coffee was must. So, went to Starbucks again and got a Caramel this time and she ordered a Double Espresso for herself. Considering the size of her coffee cup and the expression on her face when she drank it, it looked more like a large Whisky peg than coffee. Again I added a tinge of sugar to my caramel, which according to P was an insane amount. I don’t know what is it with her and sugar. Again received the same old line, “You are nuts!!” (What a cliché!)

But it was fun. If I look at it from an over all day point of view. I had a good time. After a long time (complete 2 weeks), I went out and had some fun.

22 comments:

bilbo said...

Me firstttt.
you call that a tinge of sugar???? you just gave me another opportunity, and cliche or not ( they are called cliche's cus they are true enough to be used again and again ), " You are nuts"
And , is there something you are not telling me? Is basanti your middle name?
Its all that sugar you know. Makes you hyper, hehehhe

bilbo said...

and yeah,
doncha mention cars again. Darn things are like mosquito's -small and they've been revving since 8 in the morning. :(((((((

Kathy said...

..ok i'll say it again " you are nuts!!" :P you call that tinge??goshh!! ^_^
..anyway, seems u had a good time with her.. *wink*

...gambatte kudasai :P

-kathy-

alice said...

u didnt like the movie?????

Apy said...

@Bilbs
Yeah yeah .. thats all i can say.. :P

@Kathy
Thanks .. i ve started takin it as a compliment... lol... i posted af quite a while n am sure surprised to see ur comment

@Alice
Same goes for you too... u did surprise me.. i was not sure if anyone s gonna rememeber...keep aside leaving a comment..i posted after a long time... n u were around...whoa!!
i din say i dinlike it, i jus had high hopes..maybe coz i had read the novel.. it din leave that effect...

Kathy said...

..i'm surprised too Apy ;) to see ur name updated on my blogroll hehe ^_^ ..:P so i came here right away... seems busy na? or just don't feel to write??hehe..^_^
...hey it's raining nowadays here in Tokyo ;( so changes in climate can get you cold easily...take care yaar ;)
...got cold from rina so i'm in bed right now havin' fever sobbbss ;( i'm outta here..;(
..need to go>>>>
kathy fades...........................

Apy said...

@kathy
Ya... been a lil busy.. n u take good care lady...

alice said...

hey...i emember u...and i'll be around... :)
x

Apy said...

@Alice
Hey!! Thats sweet.. i m touched...

Keshi said...

Apy hellloooo!

everyone who saw DVC says their high hopes were shattered..hehe...guess I'll go watch it with very low hopes so nuttin will be shattered :)

Keshi.

Mr. J said...

Interesting stuff. Can relate to that. Wish I had a P here to, to go watch a movie.

And hey try espresso without sugar, it rocks!!

Apy said...

@Keshi
Hiiiii.. good to see you here... yep .. thats a good idea.. may be that ways u ll enjoy more... :D

@Me
Welcome to my place...will try that out may be.. though sounds scary..but i guess i can work on that...

alice said...

muah...thanks for making me smile again.. :D

burf said...

nice fun :D

who is P?

Apy said...

@Alice
Any time dear... any time

@Burf
Welcome to my place dear...
P is an Indian frn here in Japan...

Kathy said...

..hey what's up apy? how is it goin'?? hehe...not hearin' from u lately ^_^ update plss.. :P

-kathy-

The Girl Who Sold The World said...

Haha, the day sounds fun...but I think DVC didn't live upto expectations...to put in other words, it SUCKED.
How did the Japanese react to it? I don't reckon there are many Christians there, right?

Apy said...

My apology for late reply.. been very busy
@Kathy
o yeah ????

@The Girl....
Since i dont have much of Japanese frnz, i seriously cant answer that ques..:D.. there are christians here.. but din hear any protests the way it happend in India...

~ Deeps ~ said...

sounds like a good weekend.......with a indian friend in a alien country....i believe thats the best way to spend the weekend......

Kathy said...

..oh is it lil apy?? ok..u take care always ^_^

...oops can u pls. change the URL of lil kathy in ur blogroll ^_^ just checked now and found out that its quite wrong (the reason why my updated blog is not showing here na) hehe *wink* thanx!

..anyway, hope to hear from u soon :P


-kathy-

Apy said...

@Deeps
U bet buddy !!!! Its all about havin a good company.. i dont mind nationality... :)

@Kathy
Sorry Sweetie.. done!!!

Kathy said...

...hey sweetie u've been tagged so there's no excuse for u to say that ur still in "writers block" or lazy mode ^_^ hehe...check my blog ok?
...goodluck lil apy *wink*

cheers,
-kathy-