Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Can you feel it ???

Off late Apy has been whining a lot and that’s definitely not me. So, yesterday after office, instead of taking a train, I decided to walk back home. Don’t presume that Apy has gone crazy before knowing the distance between my hotel and my office. It’s just one station and now don’t you give me that *you need a train to cover that much distance* expression. Well! I do :P.

I have always associated places with either their fragrance or some music. Its not that I do it by choice but that’s the way it usually happens with me. So, last evening when I started walking down the street, I felt a cool breeze on my face and sensed the same fragrance that I did on my first day to office in Japan. That was 9 months ago and suddenly all that time of being new to this place flashed in front of me. May be it happened as it was summer then and now summer is approaching again. It’s just something in the air. I felt the same when I landed in Bangalore this time. It too has a distinct fragrance in air that reminds me of all the time I have spent there.

Similarly, air in Delhi has its own distinct aroma. May be that’s because that’s Home. No matter how long it’s been since I left Delhi, its still Home and always will be. Whenever I go to Delhi, irrespective of how much I crib about pollution, traffic and crime rate, at the end of the day, I am always happy to be there. May be that’s why I miss it so much.

Another thing that helps me to associate with places and reminds me of old times is music. There are some songs that remind me of the college time. The ones on which we used to dance like crazy at times of college festivals or those Jam sessions for weird reasons. Then those Ghazal audiocassettes that Dad used to buy, still remind me of the old time at home, listening to that tape recorder when I was kid. There are some songs which remind me of R, my buddy and my guide and in a way he too has got the same tendency. I came to know about it when I went back to Bangalore this time and he played all those songs on his new ‘Bose’ system and before playing each song, he reminded me of the memory with which it was associated to both of us. It touched me to the core. May be it had more effect as it was played on ‘Bose’. :P

So, yesterday when I switched my Nano on, the songs that went started playing were Nickelback’s “Rock star” followed by Greenday’s “Wake me up when September ends” and “Boulevard of broken dreams”. These are the same songs that I used to listen to again and again on my long weekend walks when I came to this place. So, a combination of old fragrance and its corresponding music was bliss.

Right now I am listening to “Don’t be shy” by Rouge after a long time. I listened to this song a zillion times when I was in Bangalore. It reminds me of all the fun I had with my roomie then. The list is endless. The good part is that this way I can remember and feel good as well as bad moments of my life.

16 comments:

bilbo said...

I don't believe it, I am first again !!!!!
Hey you should have a prize for the first commentor ya know. :P
Loved reading this one as it was a) not a whine
b) right up my alley
I like the feeling of nostalgia that a song brings. Soon I am smiling and the day is a little brighter.
And , yeah , Bose speakers rock.

Keshi said...

I always sense old places, people, moments, emotions, fragrances, smiles etc whenever I listen to an old song or see something related to the past...it's magical and it takes me back to the olden days in a quick flash...it's amazing isnt it...


Keshi.

La Louve said...

hey you just brought back delhi to me... i know the ramble... about pollution etc etc but the place still having a charm of its own, and me still being connected to it somehow...

hey @ pevious post, great to hear tht you are doing great.

alice said...

'home is wher the heart is'...very lame but thats true..

Apy said...

@Bilbo
U kno wat . u ve already won a prize.... u ve got the honour to treat me .... is there any other prize in this world that cd b bigger than this ..baaki sab Moh Maayaa hai... :P

@Keshi
It is ..absolutely... so i guess i m not that weird after all... there are others who feel like that ... lol..

@Wbix
Thanks lady...n thats y i always say ..Delhi is The best....so u were in Delhi befr u went to Mars....cool...

@Alice
very true...

Kathy said...

..yeah, music always brings back the memory of the past, the place ,the people that sometimes make us smile or make us sad but felt good too afterwards.^_~
..so u enjoyed walking from ur office up to your hotel naa ^_^ that's cool!
..and "kawasaki" is a good place ^_^ coz i have a friend living there before near the station, we used to go to different shops there...also to "shinagawa" and "kamata". you do shop with ur friends apy? oh maybe u like "akihabara" more ? hehe ^_^
..yup summer is around the corner ...bad for my migraine ;(
..enjoy weekend yaar!

cheers,
-kathy-

The Girl Who Sold The World said...

I also have this fragrance-music-memories syndrome. It's pretty normal to have it. :P It's kinda strange though how each place has its own special appeal...and I LOVE delhi too, inspite of its gazillion flaws. Maybe because I've spent so many vacations there that it's like a second home to me. :)
And hello to a fellow Green Day fan. Oh, I SO love Billy Joe's voice. :D

Apy said...

@Kathy
yep... been to Kamata and Shinagawa... n ya... at times i prefer Akhihabara... been there so many times now...
So u got migraine problem... then summer is really bad for you .. u can migrate smwhere fr a while ..hehe...

@The Girl....
Its a relief to hear that its normal.. :P
n i can say the same about ur city.. chd... i have cousins there n its been like a second home to me ...

Casablanca said...

*adopts saintly tone*
God bless the iPod :)

Apy said...

@Casa
:-)
Apy also wishes the same....

Kathy said...

..hmm migrate to where?? Phils. and India is summer season too ..damn! ;( *sobs*

Apy said...

Don cry .. go to Australia n see Keshi.. i think winters are approaching there...

Kathy said...

...hmm Aussie?? yeah, maybe one day ,i'll go to meet keshi^_^ wanna come with me apy? *wink*
..hey "Happy Mother's Day" to ur Mom.
..enjoy weekend though it's quite raining here in Tokyo naa ;(

-kathy-

Apy said...

Hey .. wd love to join.. if Keshi has no issues... hehe...Thanks from my mom...n i kno i m a lil late as was not online yest.. but Belated Happy mother's day to u n ur mom too.... hope u had a good day..

Keshi said...

hehe na ur aint weird man, there r alot of u out there :):)

Keshi.

Apy said...

@Keshi
Now thats motivating....