Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bargaing at it's Best!!!

So, I wanted a leave. Under normal circumstances, I would just have to go to my Boss and give him the dates but not this time. This time, I have been working at a client location. So, my Boss couldn’t possibly help me with the leaves.

“You will have to talk to your manager in that company!” was all he said. I didn’t like the idea as I know the person he was referring to and I knew what was coming my way. Since I had no other option, I decided to talk to him.

“Hi M, I need a leave for 10 working days. I need to go to Delhi. It’s been quite a while since I went back home and also, a friend of mine is getting married. He happens to my school friend so, it’s really important for me to be there.”

“10 days??” he sounded as if I sentenced him life imprisonment which of course is not a bad idea. I was shocked by the way he expressed his shock.

M: Can’t you postpone this to some other date?

Apy: No, my friend is getting married and I need to attend the wedding else I would have done it.

M: You can take 5 days now and 5 days after some time

Apy: I m going to spend a huge amount on my travel. I can’t go to Delhi again and again.

M: 10 days is a long duration. People usually take that long leave in case there is an emergency or a marriage.

Apy: There is a marriage, my friend is getting married.

M: I am talking about your marriage.

Apy: Ohh!!

M: I m sorry, but I will be able to give you only 5 days off as we are expecting some high priority work (and also some crap which I cant remember as I didn’t bother to listen)


After some more wasted discussion


Apy: Okay then, give me 8 days.

M: I will give you 7.

Apy: Fine 7. But, in addition to that I’ll take a half day on the day I leave and half on the day I come back

M: That will make 8 days.

Apy: Yeah… kind of, but that’s the best I can think of right now.

M: Fine. You may take it

All through this process, I felt as if I was standing and buying grocery. The only thing that was left in this was “Bhaiya, Theek Theek Lagao!”

25 comments:

Mr. J said...

Hahaha.. wow, that is quite some bargaining eh!! Lol!!

I do the same thing here too especially at work, and many people don't get it but hey this is something that I guess is in our blood.

Lol!! Good going mate.

MeMyself_n_I said...

hahahahahaha. the corporate world doesn't seem too appealing to me any longer.

burf said...

negotiation is an art

even when it is grocery



and
pls rewrite the last post in 55 words... its fun that ways ;)

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

I could have done it better and gotten 10 days ... if not 10 .. 9 definitely coz :

1) Am a female
2) Am a smart female
3) I've spent yrs in Mumbai's Colaba market .. bargaining for shirts/bags from Rs. 500 to Rs. 150 B-)
4) I wouldn't have said friend's marriage

Apy said...

@Mr J
Haha.. yeah i guess so.. this is something we really are proud of.. tried this in Japan too.. worked there also.. hee hee..

@memyself_n_i
it doesn?? dudette... life aint easy anywhere... trust me..

@burf
Will definitely try that although no promises.. :P

@loon Gal

/*1) Am a female*/.... Agree

/*2) Am a smart female*/.. ahem.. no comments... i dont like to lie u see..

/*3) I've spent yrs in Mumbai's Colaba market .. bargaining for shirts/bags from Rs. 500 to Rs. 150 B-)*/.... Well.. if u say so :P


/*4) I wouldn't have said friend's marriage*/ .. yeah right... i m workin in his team.. wat do u suggest.. tell him im gettin married.. that wd have costed me more than 2 trips to delhi... :P

GuNs said...

[:-D]
I remember bargaining twice.

First instance:
me> I want to take a leave
M> How many days?
me> 10 days
M> Thats two weeks
me> Yes
M> Umm...OK
me (thinking)> 10 days leave + 2 holidays + 6 days of weekend + 2 half-days = 19 days off !!

Second instance:
me> I am leaving day after (Thursday night). I have to go to my native place and attend a ceremony for my grandma
M> When will you be back?
me> Next Thursday
M> I cant grant you that much leave
me> I had planned these leaves well in advance and the last leave that I took was 8 months ago.
M> Still, we need to release something to the client.
me> OK, I'll try to make it back earlier
M> When
me> Wednesday noon
M> Thats not any earlier. You come back by Tuesday
me> The train will reach Tuesday noon.
M> Try to come Tuesday noon.
me> OK.
me (thinking)> See you next Wednesday man !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

Apy said...

@Guns
lol.. i guess in my case.. he calculated those holidays and weekends... n he was a lil shocked with that too :P

San said...

lol someone's gotta have great bargaining power

parikrama said...

Lol @ Bhaiyaa theek theek lagao !

Crazie conversation ! Enjoy your break..

Ekta said...

hahaha....well it actually sounded like grocery bargaining!...some bosses...damn!

Keshi said...

LOL!

Keshi.

La Louve said...

ROTFL! That definitely was some bargaining...

my smart 'female' cousine once told her boss that her grannie passd away reason why she needed hols. Now of course the dadi had died since so long, so we came up with another story, where, my Uncle had been raised by that grandma and she treated him like her son and she died and dunno what a big story!

my cuz is numbr 1 liar and she does it so well too. oh well...

you have fun at the wedding :)

La Louve said...

last comment was me...
bh

Apy said...

@san
Thx :)

@Parikrama
Dhanya bhaag hamare jo aap yahan padhare.. wow.. that rhymes :)
Thanks man...

@Ekta
:) Yep.. i guess...

@keshi
:) .. long time dear.. how are ya?


@.m.
Dude/Dudette... I m not able to access ur profile.. so no idea who u are.... in any case... welcome to my place... n thanks

Apy said...

@.m.
Is that you...my sweet martian friend?? i ve been trying to figure out who .m. is and suddenly it hit me..n then bh also made sense... :P

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

oye where are u? got married or what???

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

Oh yeah I remember you telling me that you gonna be sick after eating Delhi food ... right?? ;p

Apy said...

Nopes.. it wasnt food .. it was heat stroke :P

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

loll heat stroke i see!

waitin for a post!! where art thou ?!?!?!

and dont ya still realise .. u cant even spell "bargaining" .. so how can u ever be good at it?!?!?

Apy said...

@loon gal
So finally someone noticed.. n i thought evone s missed it :P
I will write soon. hopefully :)

joy said...

one hell of a bargain n u know why both the seller...u n the buyer....ur boss.. got what they wanted..lol.

Apy said...

@joy
well.. in actual....the buyer.. thats me..(buying leave) got more than what i wanted and the seller..my boss..jus had a satisfied feeling that he was able to do his job...

P said...

when on earth are you going to update?? come on now!! don't be lazy lazy!!

Sahasra said...

Good Bargain,BTW I shud learn bargaining from u

Apy said...

@Perspective
Updated :P....

@Sahasra
Welcome to my place and I aint that good at it but still anytime :P