Monday, February 26, 2007

The Client

So, I joined the new company "X". It was a little weird as everything was new, the infrastructure, the people. But this post is not about the new company X.

Flashback:
When I was interviewing at different companies, I went to a company named "Y". It is a very high profile company and an excellent pay master. The interview did not go well as I had flown down from Kolkata just a day back and hadn’t had a chance to prepare before the interview, so, went anyway, just for the heck of it.

Back to the joining date:

Well, I was told at the time of interview at X that I will have to work at a client location in Bangalore. The name of the company was not mentioned and I was not so sure about that but agreed to it at that time. So on D day (joining date), my manager called me in morning to tell me the name of the client where I was actually supposed to work. It turned out that the client was Y.

OH … MY… GOD…

The manager wanted to introduce me to the client and I was supposed to go through the client interview. (WHICH MEANT I WAS GOING TO BE INTERVIEWED AGAIN AT Y). Suddenly, my stomach churned. I was not sure whether it was the breakfast or the name of the client.

I asked my manager to give me a few days if it was going to be another interview. Luckily he agreed. Then after that for the next few days all I did was read (even in the loo). I had to get through this interview. There was no way around it. The scary part that I wanted to avoid was the person who had taken my interview the first time.
“It’s a big company, may be the requirement is in another team.” I tried to tell this to myself again and again but it never worked. The apprehensions were giving me nightmares. Finally, the D day arrived and luckily the person who interviewed me was somebody else. The interview went just fine and I was supposed to join on the next day.

I was still not very sure about the next day. But I didn’t think I had an alternative. I went to client’s (Y) office and the manager who took my interview introduced me to the team. And then, I was introduced to my lead.

Turns out, he was the same guy who took my interview initially.

I AM GOING TO WORK WITH HIM???????

“We’ve met… right?” This was all he said when we shook hands. I smiled and came up with, “Yes! Absolutely.”

Well, I’ve been working with him since then. Turns out, he is not as bad as he initially seemed to be but then I usually don’t trust people easily and he is no exception.

17 comments:

Mr. J said...

Hahahaha.. talk about life doing a Full Circle ;)

Glad you didn't leave the interview with Y on bad terms or boy.. we'd be having a very spicy post to read. Lol!!

P said...

:) You are finally back blogging...yippiee... good to have you back!

Apy said...

@Mr. J
As a matter of fact, even I went through the same thought process and did thank god for that :)

@Perspective
Its wonderful to be back..

parikrama said...

Way to go Apy. Small world n all that jazz. Hope you are having a great time checking out the new gals at the new place.

Keep writing.

p.s. : that spur of the moment North-East trip was an awsome idea. Screw work. I am so proud of what you did !

GuNs said...

Smart answer:

TL: "We've met, right?".

You: "Oh yeah, I floored you in an interview once".

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

Apy said...

@Parikrama
lol.. Dude.. u have absolutely no idea about the status of gals in offices in bangalore (or may be ..the office in which i work are jinxed).. usually there are no gals.. if at all.. by some chance.. there are girls.. then u wish.. there were no gals...

n thanks.. i surprise even myself at times.. :)

@Guns
lol.. yeah that wd have been interesting..

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

lol well .. bad people are good to work with ... that way you get to show them how bad they are!

Did i confuse you? Well if I did .. am glad ... coz u confused me with ur X and Y story! x-(

alice said...

u r in india now????? when did that happen????

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

If you are in IT...we have this saying...the world is too short, so you gonna rub your shoulders with me sometime or another

Tahts why they say, neva burn bridges when you leave the company, you neva know when you want to come back again for some reason...

Apy said...

@loon Gal
Hmm .. in a way i agree with you.. u get to learn a lot of things from such people... Naah.. u din confuse me.. so better luck nex time.. :P

@alice
Of course i m in india.. This happ las september... been here since then...

@Arz00n
Yep I m in IT and i agree with you on burnin bridges part but when u need to stand up for urself and when things come to self respect.. u need to rethink about that decision..

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

Hello u meanie .. howz it going?

Apy said...

@Loon Gal
heylo.. alls well.. u tell me....

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

*raises an eyebrow*

u chor uchakkey!

Apy said...

@Loon Gal
Shhhhhhh!!!! You dont have to tell that to everyone..

*looks around hoping no ones heard*

anyways.. matlab wat eva i said was true.... right ? hooohahhahaha

Kathy said...

... hey its Sakura time again Apy ^_~ ... hanami will be best startin' next week here in Tokyo! dun be late sweetie... come asap!
dun miss it :P

Ekta said...

haha..what a strange turn of events...well alls well that ends well!

david santos said...

Hello, apy!
This work is very good, thank you
have nice week